Program: New Hope Assisted Living Apartments
Reports to: Resident Services Supervisor
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
This position is responsible for managing activity services to enrich clients’ lives by promoting socialization, expanding personal interests, increasing physical activity, and expanding community involvement. This position requires a varied schedule including some day, evening and weekend hours.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain the vision, mission and values of Touchstone Mental Health (TMH).
- Remain up-to-date regarding the various programs of TMH.
- Remain up-to-date regarding agency policies and procedures and perform all functions in accordance with TMH policies and procedures.
- Provide the highest quality of customer service consistent with TMH’s values and standards.
Supportive & Motivational Client Relations
- Establish supportive and motivational relationships with clients, ensuring an atmosphere of safety, security and responsible mental health care.
- Work within the community and among constituents to help create comprehensive relationships that align one’s own and the organizations priorities with the needs and values of the broader community.
- Serve as a role model and coach for clients regarding problem solving, decision-making, conflict resolutions, independent living skills and responsibilities.
- Know current level of functioning of clients and appropriate needed interventions. Observe client behavior and physical and emotional symptoms and perform behavioral management interventions, as needed.
- Learn the independent living skills development needs of clients to assist in implementing goals and objectives for activities related pursuits. Facilitate and coach clients in using natural supports and mainstream community resources to support goals around activities pursuits. Provide clients with logistical and organizational support for planning and resolving potential barriers.
- Assist clients with facilitating community meetings and activities to engender self-governance. Support development of leadership skills and contributing roles for clients. Encourage and model direct communication among community members about concerns.
- Monitor self-administration of medications to assist in skill building for managing symptoms of their illness.
- Ensure delivery of activity services to be inclusive of all clients as they are willing and able.
- Plan, promote and generate enthusiasm for activities. Plan creative group and individual activities, incorporating client’s interests. Maintain knowledge of community activities and in-house activities, including athletic and non-athletic pursuits.
- Create and maintain consistent activities calendar that ensures activities six days per week. Maintain knowledge of community activities and in-house activities, including athletic and non-athletic pursuits.
- Encourage clients to participate in activities planning, individually and in groups. Provide clients with logistical and organizational support for planning.
- Accompany clients on activity outings participate in in-house activities.
- Coordinate with program director to develop annual activities and staffing budget. Monitor actual expenses against budget. Monitor standards and compliance issues.
- Utilize the formal and informal decision making structures within the organization and in the field to achieve goals.
Staff Management & Leadership
- Direct staff performing activities with clients to ensure effective implementation of the agency’s mission, goals and objectives. Establish and clearly communicate performance expectations and delegated responsibilities. Provide ongoing coaching, training and support, and create an atmosphere for open communication.
- Model positive service practices for staff. Maintain high performance standards for staff.
Program Team Member
- Develop and demonstrate a set standard of personal expectations for excellence in quality and quantity of work.
- Demonstrate the ability to build relationships and work cooperatively with others, be part of a team, express positive attitudes and expectations of others, build team commitment by promoting good working relationships regardless of personal likes or dislikes, and sustain professional contacts for the purposes of networking within the team and the field.
- Provide consultation, guidance and instruction to staff regarding matters pertaining to client activities.
- Participate in team meetings and process to participate in communication concerning clients and facility.
- Follow established program and agency protocols, policies and procedures. Provide team with thorough, timely, legible, accurate, objective information. Provide input for client care plans. Collaborate with staff regarding client goals and objectives.
- Maintain an underlying curiosity and desire to know more about things, people or issues, including the desire for knowledge and staying current with health, organizational, industry and professional trends and developments.
- Utilize best practices in facilitation, conflict resolution, and meeting management when conducting productive and goal-oriented group interactions.
- Participate in creating an overall positive community atmosphere with other staff and clients.
- Supervise facility as senior staff on shift when necessary. Be available for emergency coverage on short notice, if necessary.
- Complete required trainings, both upon hire and annually.
- Other duties as assigned.
The work of this position entails the use of standard office equipment as well as a variety of activity related equipment. The work of this position requires that the incumbent be able to see, hear, speak, read and write English clearly in order to ensure client welfare and development. This position requires the ability to drive an automobile on a daily basis. This position will also be approved to use agency vehicles. The incumbent must be able to assist clients in/out of van and up/down stairs & curbs, climb stairs, 2/3 or more of the hours worked; reach, stand, walk and use fingers for up to 2/3 of the hours worked; and kneel, remain in a static position, push, pull, lift grasp, use repetitive motions, carry and drive for up to 1/3 of the hours worked. The incumbent must be able to lift up to 10 lbs from the waist knee or floor.
Education and Experience
- At least 21 years of age.
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the behavioral sciences required, master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in activities service delivery for adults preferred.
- Experience working with people who have severe and persistent mental illness preferred.
- Experience or knowledge of chemical dependency issues for adults with mental illness preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to intervene appropriately in crisis prevention and de-escalation when necessary.
- Knowledge and ability to facilitate groups.
- Commitment to understanding others by genuinely seeking to know people as individuals, understand different points of view by gaining the insights of others, and cultivate cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Demonstrated ethics, sound professional practice, social accountability and community stewardship. Ability to act openly and honestly and promote organizational integrity.
- Ability to act confidently within one’s role and own abilities and to take on challenging assignments.
- Awareness of one’s own strengths and development needs, and ability to seek feedback routinely on performance.
- Ability to understand a situation by breaking it into smaller pieces, identifying barriers or obstacles to address current or future problems or opportunities.
- Ability to speak and write in a clear, logical and grammatical manner in formal and informal situations.
- Ability to be flexible in meeting scheduling needs.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of client information and appropriate boundaries.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite, particularly Microsoft Outlook.