Program: Intentional Communities
Reports to: Program Supervisor
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
This position is responsible for providing structure, guidance and support to enrich clients’ lives by promoting socialization, expanding personal interests and expanding community involvement. The position will provide Adult Rehabilitative Mental Health Services (ARMHS) to clients.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain the vision, mission and values of Touchstone Mental Health (TMH).
- Remain up-to-date regarding the various programs of TMH.
- Remain up-to-date regarding agency policies and procedures and perform all functions in accordance with TMH policies and procedures.
- Provide the highest quality of customer service consistent with TMH’s values and standards.
Supportive & Motivational Client Relations
- Establish supportive, motivational and therapeutic relationships with clients, ensuring an atmosphere of safety, security and responsible mental health care.
- Work within the broader community and among constituents to help create comprehensive relationships that align one’s own and the organizations priorities with the needs and values of the broader community.
- Serve as a role model and coach for clients regarding developing and using effective problem solving, decision-making, conflict resolutions, independent living skills and responsibilities.
- Know current level of functioning of clients and appropriate needed interventions Assist clients in understanding and management of mental health issues. Observe client behavior and physical and emotional symptoms and perform behavioral management interventions, as needed. Address co-occurring chemical health concerns.
- Facilitate and coach clients in using natural supports and mainstream community resources to support goals around living in the community. Provide clients with logistical and organizational support for planning and resolving potential barriers. Refer clients in crisis to appropriate resources and provide follow-up.
- Learn the independent living skills development needs of clients to assist clients in implementing goals and objectives.
- Facilitate community development through teaching, coaching, modeling and using community building strategies.
- Assist clients with facilitating community meetings and activities to engender self-governance. Support development of leadership skills and contributing roles for clients. Encourage and model direct communication among community members about concerns.
- Support welcoming process for new members and insure they are informed of community agreements and event schedules.
- Provide crisis intervention services for clients and support the crisis intervention work of other team members.
- Provide staff presence at the community apartment during agreed-upon hours. Coordinate staff coverage to assure drop-in site is open during regular hours.
- Utilize the formal and informal decision making structures within the organization and in the field to achieve goals.
- Ensure the facility is clean and secure. Assist clients with housekeeping and house management duties, as well as routine maintenance tasks as needed.
Program Team Member
- Develop and demonstrate a set standard of personal expectations for excellence in quality and quantity of work.
- Demonstrate the ability to build relationships and work cooperatively with others, be part of a team, express positive attitudes and expectations of others, build team commitment by promoting good working relationships regardless of personal likes or dislikes, and sustain professional contacts for the purposes of networking within the team and the field.
- Serve as liaison between client community and staff to assure clients are represented in planning and program development.
- Participate in team meetings and processes for communication concerning clients and facilities.
- Follow established program and agency protocols, policies and procedures, including documentation. Provide team with thorough, timely, legible, accurate, objective information. Provide input for client care plans. Collaborate with staff regarding client goals and objectives.
- Maintain an underlying curiosity and desire to know more about things, people or issues, including the desire for knowledge and staying current with health, organizational, industry and professional trends and developments.
- Utilize best practices in facilitation, conflict resolution, and meeting management when conducting productive and goal-oriented group interactions.
- Participate in creating an overall positive community atmosphere with other staff and residents.
- Complete required trainings, both upon hire and annually.
- As assigned.
The work of this position entails the use of standard office equipment as well as a wide variety of household appliances and equipment including but not limited to the clothes washer and dryer, dishwasher, stove, microwave oven and vacuum cleaner. The work of this position requires that the incumbent be able to see, hear, speak, read and write English clearly in order to ensure client welfare and development. This position requires the ability to drive an automobile on a daily basis. This position will also be approved to use agency vehicles. The incumbent must be able to remain in a static position up to 2/3 of the hours worked; climb stairs, stand, walk and drive up to 1/3 of the hours worked. The incumbent must also be able to lift up to 25 lbs from the waist, knee or floor and occasionally 25 lbs from the waist.
Education and Experience
- Must be at least 21 years of age and possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Must meet the MN Department of Human Services requirements of a Mental Health Practitioner or Mental Health Rehabilitation Worker.
- Must maintain a clean driving record, possess a current driver’s license, and have the ability to maintain levels of auto insurance that comply with the agency policy.
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the behavioral sciences preferred.
- Experience working with people who have a serious and persistent mental illness preferred.
- Experience or knowledge of chemical dependency issues for adults with mental illness preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of and ability to intervene appropriately in crisis prevention and de-escalation when necessary.
- Knowledge and ability to facilitate groups.
- Commitment to understanding others by genuinely seeking to know people as individuals, understand different points of view by gaining the insights of others, and cultivate cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Demonstrated ethics, sound professional practice, social accountability and community stewardship. Ability to act openly and honestly and promote organizational integrity.
- Ability to act confidently within one’s role and own abilities and to take on challenging assignments.
- Awareness of one’s own strengths and development needs, and ability to seek feedback routinely on performance.
- Ability to understand a situation by breaking it into smaller pieces, identifying barriers or obstacles to address current or future problems or opportunities.
- Ability to speak and write in a clear, logical and grammatical manner in formal and informal situations.
- Ability to be flexible in meeting scheduling needs. Ability to work on agency holidays, as required.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of client information and appropriate boundaries.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite, particularly Microsoft Outlook.