Lead Mental Health Counselor
Program: Residential Treatment – (Bloomington, Fridley or Minneapolis)
Reports To: Clinical Supervisor
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
This position provides planning, structure and guidance to residents of the Residential Treatment program. In addition, the Lead Mental Health Counselor will complete intake interviews and complete diagnostic assessments for newly admitted residents and support new team members through training and mentoring.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain the vision, mission and values of Touchstone Mental Health (TMH).
- Remain up-to-date regarding the various programs of TMH.
- Remain up-to-date regarding agency policies and procedures and perform all functions in accordance with TMH policies and procedures.
- Provide the highest quality of customer service consistent with TMH’s values and standards.
Supportive & Motivational Client Relations
- Establish supportive, motivational and therapeutic relationships with clients, ensuring an atmosphere of safety, security and responsible mental health care.
- Work within the community and among constituents to help create comprehensive relationships that align one’s own and the organizations priorities with the needs and values of the broader community.
- Serve as a role model for clients regarding problem solving, decision-making, conflict resolutions, independent living skills and responsibilities.
- Provide crisis intervention services for clients and support the crisis intervention work of other team members.
- Know current level of functioning of clients, and needed interventions. Assist clients in understanding and management of mental health issues. Meet regularly with clients to assist in skill building for managing their illness. Observe client behavior and physical and emotional symptoms and perform behavioral management interventions, as needed. Address co-occurring chemical health concerns.
- Conduct an initial assessment of new resident functioning and needs. Complete the individual vulnerable adult risk reduction and crisis plan within 24 hours of admission. Complete resident orientation within 3 days of admission. Obtain releases of information to emergency contacts, case manager, physicians and other community professionals within 3 days of admission. Complete the functional assessment within 10 days of admission and update at least every 30 days. Present the new resident’s history, diagnoses and current issues to the treatment team within one week after admission.
- Learn the independent living skills development needs of clients to assist clients in implementing goals and objectives for meal planning and preparation, housekeeping, laundry, proper use of household appliances and furniture, shopping, budgeting, etc. Provide training, demonstration, and observation both individually and in group sessions about identified areas. Make accommodations as needed to assure client and staff safety. Provide assistance if a client is not able to complete a task.
- Coordinate delivery of non-medical services to effectively address client needs. Encourage clients to use natural supports and mainstream community resources to support goals around living in the community. Provide clients with logistical and organizational support for planning and resolving potential barriers. Refer clients in crisis to appropriate resources and provide follow-up.
- Monitor self-administration of medications to assist in skill building for managing their illness.
- Facilitate problem-solving between roommates.
- Develop a discharge plan with each resident. Coordinate discharge planning with resident, community resource specialist, case manager, other community support providers, and family members.
- Assist Program Manager in conducting intake interviews and completing diagnostic assessments as needed.
- Compile demographic and evaluation data and assist in interpreting the data.
- Maintain ongoing communication with families, community providers, and significant others as needed to promote the health and well-being of clients.
- Assist clients in scheduling appointments and ensure transportation. Accompany clients to appointments, as needed.
- Provide educational groups as programming requires. Document client attendance, interaction, and relevance to individual plan.
- Utilize the formal and informal decision making structures within the organization and in the field to achieve goals.
Program Team Member
- Develop and demonstrate a set standard of personal expectations for excellence in quality and quantity of work.
- Demonstrate the ability to build relationships and work cooperatively with others, be part of a team, express positive attitudes and expectations of others, build team commitment by promoting good working relationships regardless of personal likes or dislikes, and sustain professional contacts for the purposes of networking within the team and the field.
- Participate in team meetings and processes for communication concerning clients and facility.
- Follow established program and agency protocols, policies and procedures. Provide team with thorough, timely, legible, accurate, objective information. Provide input for client care plans. Collaborate with staff regarding client goals and objectives.
- Maintain an underlying curiosity and desire to know more about things, people or issues, including the desire for knowledge and staying current with health, organizational, industry and professional trends and developments.
- Utilize best practices in facilitation, conflict resolution, and meeting management when conducting productive and goal-oriented group interactions.
- Participate in creating an overall positive community atmosphere with other staff and clients.
- Supervise facility as senior staff on shift when necessary. Be available for emergency coverage on short notice, if necessary.
- Participate in agency work groups.
- Attend various community meetings.
- Complete required trainings, both upon hire and annually.
- As assigned.
The work of this position entails the use of standard office equipment as well as a wide variety of household appliances and equipment including but not limited to the clothes washer and dryer, dishwasher, stove, microwave oven and vacuum cleaner. This position requires the ability to drive an automobile on a daily basis. This position is approved to use agency vehicles. The work of this position requires that the incumbent be able to see, hear, speak, read and write English clearly in order to ensure client welfare and development. The incumbent must be able to lift up to 20 pounds, use all household equipment, as well as bend, stoop, stand and pull in order to perform or demonstrate independent living skills using household appliances and equipment. The incumbent must be able to walk up and down stairs, access client’s bedrooms, drive a car and use the telephone.
Education and Experience
- At least 21 years of age.
- The incumbent must meet the qualifications of a mental health professional (psychiatric nurse, independent clinical social worker, psychologist, marriage and family therapist, licensed professional clinical counselor, or master’s degree in professional in an allied field).
- Experience working with people who have severe and persistent mental illness required.
- Advanced knowledge of evidence based treatment practices and methods preferred.
- Experience or knowledge of chemical dependency issues for adults with mental illness preferred.
- Experience working with clients with chronic health conditions preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to intervene appropriately in crisis prevention and de-escalation when necessary.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively orally, in writing and on both an interpersonal and group level.
- Knowledge and ability to facilitate groups.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with people from differing backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to be flexible in meeting scheduling needs. Ability to work on agency holidays, as required.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of client information and appropriate boundaries.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite, particularly Microsoft Outlook.