Licensed Practical Nurse
Program: Residential Treatment – Minneapolis
Reports To: Nurse Supervisor
FTE: 0.50 FTE or less than 0.50 FTE
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
This position is responsible for assessment and coordination of client health care needs, and providing expert consultation and guidance to staff regarding medication administration and health issues for clients.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain the vision, mission and values of Touchstone Mental Health (TMH).
- Remain up-to-date regarding the various programs of TMH.
- Remain up-to-date regarding agency policies and procedures and perform all functions in accordance with TMH policies and procedures.
- Provide the highest quality of customer service consistent with TMH’s values and standards.
Supportive & Motivational Resident Relations
- Establish supportive, motivational and therapeutic relationships with residents, ensuring an atmosphere of safety, security and responsible mental health care.
- Serve as a role model for residents regarding problem solving, decision-making, conflict resolutions, independent living skills and responsibilities.
- Observe residents’ behavior, physical and emotional symptoms and perform behavioral management interventions, as needed. Address co-occurring chemical health concerns.
- Assist with setting up weekly medication boxes. Provide medication administration and monitor self-administration of medications.
- Process medication changes; make follow-up calls to providers, as needed.
- Advocate on behalf of residents within the health care system.
- Assist residents in scheduling health appointments. Accompany residents to appointments, as needed.
- Provide guidance and instruction to residential treatment staff regarding matters pertaining to resident health, including medications.
- Maintain accurate and thorough medical records.
- Perform ongoing assessment for medication side effects and medication interactions.
- Provide safe and effective nursing care to residents.
- Conduct focused assessments of the health status of residents.
- Facilitate educational groups, as programming requires.
- Provide consultation, guidance and instruction to staff on matters pertaining to resident health and medications.
- Assist with completing admission and discharge procedures for all residents.
- Ensure that medications are administered safely and effectively, including accuracy of medication dosages and documentation
Program Team Member
- Follow established program and agency protocols, policies and procedures. Provide team members with thorough, timely, legible, accurate, objective information. Provide input for resident care plans. Collaborate with staff regarding resident goals and objectives.
- Maintain a collaborative relationship with the team. Provide help to other team members as needed.
- Participate in creating an overall positive community atmosphere with other staff and residents.
- Supervise facility as senior staff on shift when necessary. Be available for emergency coverage on short notice, if necessary.
- Complete required trainings, both upon hire and annually
- As assigned.
The work of this position entails the use of standard office equipment. The work of this position requires that the incumbent be able to see, hear, speak, read and write English clearly in order to ensure client welfare and development. This position requires the ability to drive an automobile occasionally. The incumbent must be able to remain in a static position, use fingers and use repetitive motions up to 2/3 of the hours worked; reach, stand, walk, push, pull, lift, grasp, carry and drive up to 1/3 of the hours worked. The incumbent must also be able to lift up to 25 lbs from the waist, knee or floor.
Education and Experience
- Must be a graduate of an accredited nursing program and be licensed (LPN) to practice in Minnesota.
- Must meet the staff qualification requirements of the Minnesota Department of Human Service Rules for Intensive Residential Treatment Programs.
- Minimum one year of experience working with people who have severe and persistent mental illness required.
- Experience or knowledge of chemical dependency issues for adults with mental illness preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of and ability to intervene appropriately in crisis prevention and de-escalation, when necessary.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively orally, in writing and on both an interpersonal and group level.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with people from differing backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to be flexible in meeting scheduling needs. Ability to work on agency holidays, as required.
- Knowledge of medications and medical interventions appropriate to serving this target population.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of resident information and appropriate boundaries.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite, particularly Microsoft Outlook.
- Ability to maintain a clean driving record, a current driver’s license, and auto insurance coverage meeting Touchstone Mental Health policy limits.
Current Available Schedule
- Flexible schedule consisting of afternoons, weekends and evenings working an average of 16 to 24 hours per week (less than 0.50 or 0.50 FTE)