Overnight Mental Health Assistant
Program: Assisted Living Apartments – Minneapolis
Reports to: Program Manager
FTE: less than 0.50
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
This position is responsible to provide rehabilitative skills training, guidance, encouragement and support for clients. This position requires a varied schedule including awake overnight and weekend hours.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain the vision, mission and values of Touchstone Mental Health (TMH).
- Remain up-to-date regarding the various programs of TMH.
- Remain up-to-date regarding agency policies and procedures and perform all functions in accordance with TMH policies and procedures.
- Provide the highest quality of customer service consistent with TMH’s values and standards.
Supportive & Motivational Client Relations
- Establish supportive and motivational relationships with clients, ensuring an atmosphere of safety, security and responsible mental health care.
- Work within the community and among constituents to help create comprehensive relationships that align one’s own and the organizations priorities with the needs and values of the broader community.
- Serve as a role model and coach for clients regarding developing and using effective problem solving, decision-making, conflict resolutions, independent living skills and responsibilities.
- Know current level of functioning of clients and appropriate needed interventions. Observe client behavior and physical and emotional symptoms and perform behavioral management interventions, as needed.
- Provide skills-training in independent living skills based on client plans. Includes personal hygiene, clothing care, meal preparation, kitchen cleanliness, housekeeping, laundry, and budgeting. Provide assistance if a client is not able to complete a task.
- Assist clients with facilitating community meetings and activities to engender self-governance. Support development of leadership skills and contributing roles for clients. Encourage and model direct communication among community members about concerns.
- Monitor self-administration of medications to assist in skill building for managing their illness.
- Competently perform delegated nursing services as an Unlicensed Personnel (ULP).
- Ensure the facility is clean and secure. Perform daily housekeeping and house management duties, as well as routine maintenance tasks as needed. Report any needed facility repairs. Notify appropriate staff when supplies need to be reordered.
- Provide services individually and in groups as programming requires. Document client attendance, interaction, and relevance to individual plan.
- Assist with group activities, as needed. Promote and generate enthusiasm for programming.
- Prepare space for new clients. Assist clients who are moving in or moving out of the facility.
- Utilize the formal and informal decision making structures within the organization and in the field to achieve goals.
Program Team Member
- Participate in team meetings and processes for communication concerning clients and facility.
- Follow established program and agency protocols, policies and procedures. Provide team with thorough, timely, legible, accurate, objective information. Regularly provide input for client care plans. Collaborate with staff regarding client goals and objectives.
- Maintain a collaborative relationship with team. Provide help to other team members as needed.
- Participate in creating an overall positive community atmosphere with other staff and clients..
- Supervise facility as senior staff on shift when necessary.
- Be available for scheduled shifts as well as emergency coverage on short notice.
- Complete required trainings, both upon hire and annually.
- As assigned.
The work of this position entails the use of standard office equipment and household appliances and equipment including but not limited to the clothes washer and dryer, dishwasher, stove, microwave oven, automobile, and vacuum cleaner. This position will also be approved to use agency van vehicles. The work of this position requires that the incumbent be able to see, hear, speak, read and write English clearly in order to ensure client welfare and development. The incumbent must be able to climb stairs, stoop, kneel, reach, walk and carry for up to 2/3 of the hours worked and crouch, stand, remain in a static position, push, pull, lift, use fingers, grasp, feel and perform repetitive motions for up to 1/3 of the hours worked. The incumbent must also be able to lift up to 10 lbs from the waist, knee or floor.
Current Available Schedule
- 1-2 awake overnight shifts per week (12 AM to 8:30 AM), and at least 1 on-call awake overnight shift per week.
- Flexibility and reliability in scheduling are essential.
Education and Experience
- Must be at least 18 years of age and possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the behavioral sciences preferred.
- Experience working with people who have severe and persistent mental illness preferred.
- Experience or knowledge of chemical dependency issues for adults with mental illness preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of and ability to intervene appropriately in crisis prevention and de-escalation when necessary.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively orally, in writing and on both an interpersonal and group level.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with people from differing backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to be flexible in meeting scheduling needs. Ability to work on agency holidays, as required.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of client information and appropriate boundaries.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite, particularly Microsoft Outlook.