Mental Health Counselor
Program: Residential Treatment – Fridley
Reports To: Clinical Supervisor
This position provides an array of services that support client recovery and facilitate safe, secure, supportive and therapeutic intervention and crisis prevention. A varied work schedule is required.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain the vision, mission and values of Touchstone Mental Health (TMH).
- Remain up-to-date regarding the various programs of TMH.
- Remain up-to-date regarding agency policies and procedures and perform all functions in accordance with TMH policies and procedures.
- Provide the highest quality of customer service consistent with TMH’s values and standards.
Supportive & Motivational Client Relations
- Establish supportive, motivational and therapeutic relationships with clients, ensuring an atmosphere of safety, security and responsible mental health care.
- Serve as a role model for clients regarding problem solving, decision-making, conflict resolutions, independent living skills and responsibilities.
- Know current level of functioning of clients, and needed interventions. Assist clients in understanding and management of mental health issues. Meet regularly with clients to assist in skill building for managing their illness. Observe client behavior and physical and emotional symptoms and perform behavioral management interventions, as needed. Address co-occurring chemical health concerns.
- Assist clients in understanding and management of mental health and chemical dependency issues. Meet regularly with clients to assist in skill building for managing symptoms of their illness.
- Learn the independent living skills development needs of clients to assist clients in implementing goals and objectives for meal planning and preparation, housekeeping, laundry, proper use of household appliances and furniture, shopping, budgeting, etc. Provide training, demonstration, and observation both individually and in group sessions about identified areas. Make accommodations as needed to assure client and staff safety. Provide assistance if a client is not able to complete a task.
- Coordinate delivery of non-medical services to effectively address client needs. Encourage clients to use natural supports and mainstream community resources to support goals around living in the community. Provide clients with logistical and organizational support for planning and resolving potential barriers. Refer clients in crisis to appropriate resources and provide follow-up.
- Monitor self-administration of medications to assist in skill building for managing their illness.
- Facilitate problem-solving between residents.
- Participate in initial comprehensive assessment of clients to determine client needs. Ensure individual treatment plans reflect clients’ needs and service desires. Communicate instructions and methodologies as appropriate to ensure that plan is implemented correctly.
- Provide crisis intervention services for clients and support the crisis intervention work of other team members.
- Maintain ongoing communication with families, community providers, and significant others as needed to promote the health and well-being of clients.
- Assist clients in scheduling appointments and ensure transportation. Accompany clients to appointments, as needed.
- Provide services individually and in groups as programming requires. Document client attendance, interaction, and relevance to individual plan.
Program Team Member
- Participate in team meetings and processes for communication concerning clients and facility.
- Follow established program and agency protocols, policies and procedures. Provide team with thorough, timely, legible, accurate, objective information. Provide input for client care plans. Collaborate with staff regarding client goals and objectives.
- Maintain a collaborative relationship with team. Provide help to other team members as needed.
- Participate in creating an overall positive community atmosphere with other staff and clients.
- Supervise facility as senior staff on shift when necessary. Be available for emergency coverage on short notice, if necessary.
- Complete required trainings, both upon hire and annually.
- As assigned.
The work of this position entails the use of standard office equipment as well as a wide variety of household appliances and equipment including but not limited to the clothes washer and dryer, dishwasher, stove, microwave oven and vacuum cleaner. This position requires the ability to drive an automobile on a daily basis. This position is approved to use agency vehicles. The work of this position requires that the incumbent be able to see, hear, speak, read and write English clearly in order to ensure client welfare and development. The incumbent must be able to lift up to 20 pounds, use all household equipment, as well as bend, stoop, stand and pull in order to perform or demonstrate independent living skills using household appliances and equipment. The incumbent must be able to walk up and down stairs, access client’s bedrooms, drive a car and use the telephone.
Education and Experience
- 21 years of age and possess a bachelors degree in one of the behavioral sciences required, masters degree preferred.
- Experience working with people who have severe and persistent mental illness required.
- Knowledge of Co-Occuring (MI/CD) disorders and treatment interventions.
- Advanced knowledge of evidence based treatment practices and methods preferred.
- Experience or knowledge of chemical dependency issues for adults with mental illness preferred.
- Experience working with clients with chronic health conditions preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to intervene appropriately in crisis prevention and de-escalation when necessary.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively orally, in writing and on both an interpersonal and group level.
- Knowledge and ability to facilitate groups.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with people from differing backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to be flexible in meeting scheduling needs. Ability to work on agency holidays, as needed.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of client information and appropriate boundaries.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite, particularly Microsoft Outlook and use of electronic health records.
- Ability to maintain a clean driving record, a current driver’s license, and auto insurance coverage meeting Touchstone Mental Health policy limits.
Current Available Schedules – Click here to apply
Our facility supports up to 16 residents and is located at 7590 Lyric Lane Northeast, Fridley, MN 55432. We are located on the Unity Hospital campus.
- Varied, including some daytime, evening and weekend hours (1.0 FTE, benefit eligible)