Mental Health Practitioner
Program: IRTS Bloomington
Reports To: Mental Health Worker Supervisor
Touchstone Mental Health’s mission is to “Inspire Hope, Healing and Well-Being.”
Touchstone Mental Health is a Minneapolis-based, non-profit center of excellence dedicated to creating innovative, person-centered care for individuals whose lives are affected by mental illness. We began caring for individuals with severe and persistent mental illness (SPMI) in 1982 when five social workers came together to open a residential treatment program, called Sentinel House. We now support nine different programs, including two intensive residential treatment service (IRTS) facilities. The multidisciplinary team of professionals working at our facilities offer intensive residential treatment services to individuals with SPMI. These services include a structured and comfortable environment, individualized treatment plans and assistance with independent living skills.
Touchstone Mental Health offers staff members who regularly work more than 20 hours per week a comprehensive compensation, insurance and benefits package, including:
- Medical, accident, dental, and vision insurance
- Life and AD&D insurance along with voluntary life and AD&D insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match
- Generous vacation, sick, and holiday time off
Our Opportunity: Mental Health Practitioner
The primary responsibilities of the Mental Health Practitioner are to assist residents in coping with symptoms related to severe and persistent mental illness by providing encouragement and support. Other duties include:
- Demonstrate leadership and sound judgment when representing the IRTS program at Touchstone Mental Health.
- Establish supportive and motivational relationships with residents; coach residents to utilize coping strategies and complete activities of daily living; assist in the completion of independent living skills; and provide rehabilitative skills training.
- Observe residents for changes in health symptoms; redirect maladaptive behaviors; perform behavioral management interventions; and de-escalate mental health crises.
- Perform delegated nursing services, including the administration of medications, as an unlicensed personnel under the direction of the nursing staff.
- Promote participation in community activities; provide support and prompts that encourage socialization; forward feedback about community activities to Activities and Living Skills Coordinators; and when needed, attend community activities.
- Support the cleanliness of common areas and bedrooms and complete housekeeping duties.
- Ensure residents and their guests are following site guidelines to ensure the facility is safe and secure.
- Collaborate with other staff members, consultants, interns and/or volunteers in the general operations of the IRTS program.
- Support Touchstone Mental Health’s vision, mission, core values and philosophy.
- Comply with agency and program protocols, procedures, processes, policies and practices.
- Attend and participate in team meetings and training opportunities; and maintain regular and predictable attendance.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be able to work a variety of shifts, including evenings, awake overnights and weekends.
- Must be able to communicate with team members in-person and via email, text and Skype.
- Must meet the requirements of either A, B, or C:
- A. Holds a bachelor’s degree in a behavioral science/related field, from accredited college or university and has at least 2000 hours of supervised experience in the delivery of services to person with mental illness.
- B. Has at least 6000 hours of supervised experience in the delivery of services to person with mental illness.
- C. Holds a master’s or other graduate degree in one of the behavioral sciences or related fields from an accredited college or university and has less than 4,000 hours post-master’s experience in the treatment of mental illness.
- Experience or knowledge of chemical dependency issues for adults with mental illnesses preferred.
Our facility supports up to 16 residents and is located at 8941 Portland Avenue South, Bloomington, MN 55420. We are on the corner of Portland Avenue South and East 90th Street.
Current Available Schedules
- Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday – 10:30 PM to 8:30 AM (awake overnight) (1.0 FTE, benefit eligible)
- Every Other Saturday and Sunday – 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM (less than 0.5 FTE)
- “On Call” – Evening, awake overnight, weekend, and holiday coverage, as needed
Touchstone Mental Health is honored to have received the Psychologically Healthy Workplace Award from the Minnesota Psychological Association in 2015. The award is in recognition of our efforts to foster staff well-being while enhancing organizational performance.
Touchstone Mental Health is also honored to have received the Program Excellence and Innovation Award from the Minnesota Association of Community Health Programs, Inc. (MACMHP) in 2014. The award is in recognition of our efforts to design and implement unique program models that further MACMHP’s mission of improving access to and quality of behavioral healthcare in Minnesota.