Program: Minnehaha Commons
Reports to: Senior Nursing Manager
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
This position is responsible for assessment and coordination of client health care needs, and providing expert consultation, training, and guidance to staff regarding medication administration and health issues for people living with mental illness. This position functions as a part of the leadership team in the agency.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain the vision, mission and values of Touchstone Mental Health (TMH).
- Remain up-to-date regarding the various programs of TMH.
- Remain up-to-date regarding agency policies and procedures and perform all functions in accordance with TMH policies and procedures.
- Provide the highest quality of customer service consistent with TMH’s values and standards.
Supportive and Motivational Client Relations
- Work within the community and among constituents to help create comprehensive relationships that align one’s own and the organizations priorities with the needs and values of the broader community.
- Establish supportive and motivational relationships with clients, ensuring an atmosphere of safety, security and responsible mental health care.
- Serve as a role model and coach for clients regarding developing and using effective problem solving, decision-making, conflict-resolution, independent living skills and responsibilities.
- Know current level of functioning of clients and appropriate needed interventions. Assist clients in understanding and management of mental health issues. Observe client behavior and physical and emotional symptoms and perform behavioral management interventions, as needed. Address co-occurring chemical health concerns.
- Assist clients in understanding and management of mental health and chemical dependency issues. Meet regularly with clients to assist in skill building for managing symptoms of their illness.
- Perform health screening and health assessment for all new admissions. Complete individual service plan with clients and team members. Communicate service instructions and methodologies as appropriate to ensure that plan is implemented correctly.
- Perform ongoing assessment for medication side effects and drug interactions.
- Review clients’ knowledge of and compliance with medications and provide individual health education and medication monitoring/set up to assist in skill building for managing symptoms of their illness.
- Advocate on behalf of clients in relation to the medical system. Process medication changes, make follow-up calls, as needed.
- Facilitate and coach clients in using natural supports and mainstream community resources to support goals around living in the community. Provide clients with logistical and organizational support for planning and resolving potential barriers. Assist clients in scheduling health appointments and ensure transportation.
- Accompany clients to appointments, as needed.
- Assist clients with facilitating community meetings and activities to engender self-governance. Support development of leadership skills and contributing roles for clients. Encourage and model direct communication among community members about concerns.
- Maintain an underlying curiosity and desire to know more about things, people or issues, including the desire for knowledge and staying current with health, organizational, industry and professional trends and developments.
- Effectively utilize “soft” and “hard” skills in identifying needed changes, gaining support and buy-in from stakeholders, and sustaining commitment and progress within change efforts over time.
- Effectively use operational and clinical information from internal and external sources, including technology, to support strategies for performance improvement and long-term financial viability.
- Utilize the formal and informal decision making structures within the organization and in the field to achieve goals.
- Develop and demonstrate a set standard of personal expectations for excellence in quality and quantity of work.
- Ensure, with senior nursing manager, services meet all regulatory requirements.
- Keep current on developments in medications and health care related to mental illness and train staff.
- Maintain resource files on medication information and health related topics for staff and client use.
- Ensure medications are handled according to licensing standards and statute requirements and are administered safely, and effectively, including the accuracy of medication dosages. Monitor standards and compliance issues.
- Ensure staff responsible for medication monitoring are appropriately trained, including proper reporting procedures for problems with self-administration and proper responses to medical emergencies. Ensure staff competency in other delegated nursing tasks.
- Assist with development, implementation and updating of policies and procedures relating to client health care.
- Provide crisis intervention services for clients and support the crisis intervention work of other team members.
- Provide services individually and in groups as programming requires. Document client attendance, interaction, and relevance to individual plan.
- Coordinate with senior nursing manager to develop annual medical supplies and staffing budget. Monitor actual expenses against budget. Provide oversight for purchasing of medical supplies according to established budget.
Staff Management and Leadership
- Demonstrate the ability to build relationships and work cooperatively with others, be part of a team, express positive attitudes and expectations of others, build team commitment by promoting good working relationships regardless of personal likes or dislikes, and sustain professional contacts for the purposes of networking within the team and the field.
- Direct and supervise staff to ensure effective implementation of the agency’s mission, goals and objectives. Communicate and hold staff accountable to performance expectations and delegated responsibilities. Provide ongoing coaching, training, resources and create an atmosphere for open communication, including the provision of regular performance assessments.
- Understand and use statistical and financial methods and metrics to set goals and measure staff performance in programs.
- Plan, execute and oversee large and small-scale projects, including preparing detailed project plans, managing project resources and providing project oversight and sponsorship.
- Utilize best practices in facilitation, conflict resolution, and meeting management when conducting productive and goal-oriented group interactions.
- Establish and clearly communicate performance expectations and delegated responsibilities. Provide ongoing coaching, training and support, and create an atmosphere for open communication.
- Model positive service practices for staff. Provide consultation, guidance and support to staff. Maintain high performance standards for staff.
- Understand and implement agency policies and relevant external regulations related to staffing.
- With senior nursing manager, oversee recruitment and hiring of staff. Maintain the proper staffing levels to ensure adequate staff coverage. Conduct performance evaluations.
- Identify training needs and implement training opportunities.
Program Team Member
- Develop and demonstrate a set standard of personal expectations for excellence in quality and quantity of work.
- Provide consultation, guidance and instruction to staff regarding matters pertaining to client health, including medications.
- Participate in team meetings and processes for communication concerning clients and facility.
- Follow established program and agency protocols, policies and procedures, including documentation.
- Provide team with thorough, timely, legible, accurate, objective information. Provide input for client care plans. Collaborate with staff regarding client goals and objectives.
- Maintain a collaborative relationship with team. Provide help to other team members as needed.
- Participate in creating an overall positive community atmosphere with other staff and clients.
- Supervise facility as senior staff on shift when necessary. Be available for emergency coverage on short notice, if necessary.
- Complete required trainings, both upon hire and annually.
- Participate in on-call duties as scheduled.
Other Job Duties
- As assigned.
The work of this position entails the use of standard office equipment and medical equipment, including syringes. The work of this position requires that the incumbent be able to see, hear, speak, read and write English clearly in order to ensure client welfare and development. The incumbent must be able to climb stairs for 2/3 or more of the hours worked; reach, use fingers and perform repetitive motions up to 2/3 of the hours worked and climb stairs, stoop, stand, walk , stay in a static position, push, pull, lift, grasp, carry and drive for up to 1/3 of the hours worked. The incumbent must also be able to lift up to 25 lbs from the waist, knee or floor.
Minimum Education and Experience
- Licensed, registered nurse in the state of Minnesota required.
- Three years of nursing experience required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in one of the behavioral sciences is preferred.
- Experience working with adults with a serious and persistent mental illness preferred.
- Experience in a leadership or supervisory role preferred.
- Experience or knowledge of chemical dependency issues for adults with mental illness preferred.
- Ability to maintain a clean driving record, a current driver’s license, and auto insurance coverage meeting Touchstone Mental Health policy limits.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to intervene appropriately in crisis prevention and de-escalation when necessary.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively orally, in writing and on both an interpersonal and group level.
- Knowledge and ability to facilitate groups.
- Commitment to understanding others by genuinely seeking to know people as individuals, understand different points of view by gaining the insights of others, and cultivate cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Demonstrated ethics, sound professional practice, social accountability and community stewardship. Ability to act openly and honestly and promote organizational integrity.
- Ability to act confidently within one’s role and own abilities and to take on challenging assignments.
- Awareness of one’s own strengths and development needs, and ability to seek feedback routinely on performance.
- Ability to understand a situation by breaking it into smaller pieces, identifying barriers or obstacles to address current or future problems or opportunities.
- Ability to effectively plan and strategize when putting forth an opinion or suggested action for the use of persuading, convincing, and influencing as the needs and interests of others are assessed and analyzed.
- Ability to incorporate facts and use critical thinking skills to analyze data and present logical and concise recommendations in oral or written form.
- Ability to speak and write in a clear, logical and grammatical manner in formal and informal situations.
- Ability to be flexible in meeting scheduling needs.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of client information and appropriate boundaries.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite, particularly Microsoft Outlook.