Registered Nurse (RN)
Program: Rising Cedar Apartments
Reports to: Senior Nursing Manager
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
This position is responsible for coordination of client health care needs and providing expert consultation and guidance to staff regarding medication administration and health issues for people living with mental illness. This position will require a varied schedule.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain the vision, mission and values of Touchstone Mental Health (TMH).
- Remain up-to-date regarding the various programs of TMH.
- Remain up-to-date regarding agency policies and procedures and perform all functions in accordance with TMH policies and procedures.
- Provide the highest quality of customer service consistent with TMH’s values and standards.
Supportive and Motivational Client Relations
- Establish supportive and, motivational relationships with clients, ensuring an atmosphere of safety, security and responsible mental health care.
- Serve as a role model and coach for clients regarding developing and using effective problem solving, decision-making, conflict resolutions, independent living skills and responsibilities.
- Know current level of functioning of clients and appropriate needed interventions. Assist clients in understanding and management of mental health issues. Observe client behavior and physical and emotional symptoms and perform behavioral management interventions, as needed. Address co-occurring chemical health concerns.
- Assist clients in understanding and management of mental health and chemical dependency issues. Meet regularly with clients to assist in skill building for managing symptoms of their illness.
- Perform ongoing assessment for medication side effects and drug interactions.
- Review clients’ knowledge of and compliance with medications and provide individual health education and medication monitoring/set up to assist in skill building for managing their illness.
- Advocate on behalf of clients in relation to the medical system. Process medication changes, make follow-up calls, as needed.
- Facilitate and coach clients in using natural supports and mainstream community resources to support goals around living in the community. Provide clients with logistical and organizational support for planning and resolving potential barriers. Assist clients in scheduling health appointments and ensure transportation. Accompany clients to appointments, as needed.
- Keep current on developments in medications and health care related to mental illness.
- Ensure medications are handled according to licensing standards and statute requirements and are administered safely, and effectively, including the accuracy of medication dosages.
- Provide crisis intervention services for clients and support the crisis intervention work of other team members.
- Provide services individually and in groups as programming requires. Document client attendance, interaction, and relevance to individual plan.
- Participate in rotation for on-call coverage.
Program Team Member
- Provide consultation, guidance and instruction to staff regarding matters pertaining to client health, including medications.
- Participate in team meetings and processes for communication concerning clients and facility.
- Follow established program and agency protocols, policies and procedures, including documentation. Provide team with thorough, timely, legible, accurate, objective information. Provide input for client care plans. Collaborate with staff regarding client goals and objectives.
- Maintain a collaborative relationship with team. Provide help to other team members as needed.
- Participate in creating an overall positive community atmosphere with other staff and clients.
- Be available for emergency coverage on short notice, if necessary.
- Complete required trainings, both upon hire and annually.
Other Job Duties
- As assigned.
The work of this position entails the use of standard office equipment and medical equipment, including syringes. The work of this position requires that the incumbent be able to see, hear, speak, read and write English clearly in order to ensure client welfare and development. The incumbent must be able to climb stairs for 2/3 or more of the hours worked; reach, use fingers and perform repetitive motions up to 2/3 of the hours worked and climb stairs, stoop, stand, walk , stay in a static position, push, pull, lift, grasp, carry and drive for up to 1/3 of the hours worked. The incumbent must also be able to lift up to 25 lbs from the waist, knee or floor.
Education and Experience
- Unencumbered Registered Nurse license in the state of Minnesota.
- A Bachelor’s degree in one of the behavioral sciences is preferred.
- Experience working with adults with a serious and persistent mental illness preferred.
- Experience or knowledge of chemical dependency issues for adults with mental illness preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to intervene appropriately in crisis prevention and de-escalation when necessary.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively orally, in writing and on both an interpersonal and group level.
- Knowledge and ability to facilitate groups.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with people from differing backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to be flexible in meeting scheduling needs.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of client information and appropriate boundaries.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite, particularly Microsoft Outlook.