Program: Residential Treatment Bloomington
Reports To: Nurse Supervisor
Click here to apply
This position is responsible for assessment and coordination of client health care needs, and providing expert consultation and guidance to staff regarding medication administration and health issues for clients.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain the vision, mission and values of Touchstone Mental Health (TMH).
- Remain up-to-date regarding the various programs of TMH.
- Remain up-to-date regarding agency policies and procedures and perform all functions in accordance with TMH policies and procedures.
- Provide the highest quality of customer service consistent with TMH’s values and standards.
Supportive & Motivational Client Relations
- Establish supportive, motivational and therapeutic relationships with clients, ensuring an atmosphere of safety, security and responsible mental health care.
- Work within the community and among constituents to help create comprehensive relationships that align one’s own and the organizations priorities with the needs and values of the broader community.
- Serve as a role model for clients regarding problem solving, decision-making, conflict resolutions, independent living skills and responsibilities.
- Know current level of functioning of clients, and needed interventions. Assist clients in understanding and management of mental health issues. Observe client behavior and physical and emotional symptoms and perform behavioral management interventions, as needed. Address co-occurring chemical health concerns.
- Perform health screening and health assessment for all new admissions. Perform ongoing assessment for medication side effects and drug interactions.
- Review clients’ knowledge of and compliance with medications and provide individual health education and medication monitoring to assist in skill building for managing their illness.
- Advocate on behalf of clients in relation to the medical system. Process medication changes; make follow-up calls, as needed.
- Encourage clients to use natural supports and mainstream community resources to support goals around living in the community. Provide clients with logistical and organizational support for planning and resolving potential barriers. Assist clients in scheduling health appointments and ensure transportation. Accompany clients to appointments, as needed.
- Keep current on developments in medications and health care related to mental illness and train staff. Maintain resource files on medication information and health related topics for staff and clients’ use.
- Ensure medications are handled according to licensing standards and statute requirements and are administered safely, and effectively, including the accuracy of medication dosages. Monitor standards and compliance issues.
- Monitor effective operation of the Touchstone Independent Medication Program (TIMP) at residential treatment.
- Ensure staff responsible for medication monitoring is appropriately trained, including proper reporting procedures for problems with self-administration and proper responses to medical emergencies.
- Assist with development, implementation and updating of policies and procedures relating to client health care.
- Provide crisis intervention services for clients and support the crisis intervention work of other team members.
- Provide weekly Health and Wellness group. Document client attendance, interaction, and relevance to individual plan.
- Coordinate with program director to develop annual staffing budget. Monitor actual expenses against budget. Provide oversight for purchasing of medical supplies according to established budget.
- Utilize the formal and informal decision making structures within the organization and in the field to achieve goals.
Staff Management & Leadership
- Model positive service practices for staff. Provide consultation, guidance and support to staff. Maintain high performance standards for staff. RT RN 6/29/2015
- Understand and implement agency policies and relevant external regulations related to staffing.
- With Nurse Supervisor or Program Manager, assist with recruitment and hiring of staff. Assure adequate staff coverage.
- Identify training needs and training opportunities. supervisor.
Program Team Member
- Develop and demonstrate a set standard of personal expectations for excellence in quality and quantity of work.
- Demonstrate the ability to build relationships and work cooperatively with others, be part of a team, express positive attitudes and expectations of others, build team commitment by promoting good working relationships regardless of personal likes or dislikes, and sustain professional contacts for the purposes of networking within the team and the field.
- Provide consultation, guidance and instruction to staff regarding matters pertaining to client health, including medications.
- Participate in team meetings and processes for communication concerning clients and facility.
- Follow established program and agency protocols, policies and procedures, including documentation. Provide team with thorough, timely, legible, accurate, objective information. Provide input for client care plans. Collaborate with staff regarding client goals and objectives.
- Maintain an underlying curiosity and desire to know more about things, people or issues, including the desire for knowledge and staying current with health, organizational, industry and professional trends and developments.
- Utilize best practices in facilitation, conflict resolution, and meeting management when conducting productive and goal-oriented group interactions.
- Participate in creating an overall positive community atmosphere with other staff and clients.
- Supervise facility as senior staff on shift when necessary. Be available for emergency coverage on short notice, if necessary.
- Complete required trainings, both upon hire and annually
- As assigned.
The work of this position entails the use of standard office equipment and medical equipment, including syringes. The work of this position requires that the incumbent be able to see, hear, speak, read and write English clearly in order to ensure client welfare and development. The incumbent must be able to climb stairs, reach, use fingers and perform repetitive motions up to 2/3 of the hours worked and stoop, stand, walk , stay in a static position, push, pull, lift, grasp, carry and drive for up to 1/3 of the hours worked. The incumbent must also be able to lift up to 25 lbs from the waist, knee or floor.
Education and Experience
- Licensed, registered nurse in the state of Minnesota
- A Bachelor’s degree in one of the behavioral sciences preferred.
- One year of experience working with adults with a serious and persistent mental illness is preferred.
- Experience or knowledge of chemical dependency issues for adults with mental illness preferred.
- New graduates encouraged to apply.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to intervene appropriately in crisis prevention and de-escalation when necessary.
- Knowledge and ability to facilitate groups.
- Commitment to understanding others by genuinely seeking to know people as individuals, understand different points of view by gaining the insights of others, and cultivate cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Demonstrated ethics, sound professional practice, social accountability and community stewardship. Ability to act openly and honestly and promote organizational integrity.
- Ability to act confidently within one’s role and own abilities and to take on challenging assignments.
- Awareness of one’s own strengths and development needs, and ability to seek feedback routinely on performance.
- Ability to understand a situation by breaking it into smaller pieces, identifying barriers or obstacles to address current or future problems or opportunities.
- Ability to speak and write in a clear, logical and grammatical manner in formal and informal situations.
- Ability to be flexible in meeting scheduling needs.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of client information and appropriate boundaries.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite, particularly Microsoft Outlook.