Wellness is the balance of good mental and physical health so each person can experience well-being. At Touchstone, we believe mental and physical health are connected and wellness is an important element of mental health recovery. We integrate wellness practices through all of our programs so our clients learn to maintain their well-being and mental health into the future.
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Service Administration defines the Eight Dimensions of Wellness as:
- Emotional—Coping effectively with life and creating satisfying relationships
- Environmental—Good health by occupying pleasant, stimulating environments that support well-being
- Financial—Satisfaction with current and future financial situations
- Intellectual—Recognizing creative abilities and finding ways to expand knowledge and skills
- Occupational—Personal satisfaction and enrichment from one’s work
- Physical—Recognizing the need for physical activity, healthy foods, and sleep
- Social—Developing a sense of connection, belonging, and a well-developed support system
- Spiritual—Expanding a sense of purpose and meaning in life
In addition to mental health treatment, many people have found complementary health and treatments including mindfulness, meditation, yoga, acupuncture, and nutritional therapy can improve thinking and mood. Learn more at the National Center for Complementary and Integrated Health.